Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Give Me A Break!!

I've been around a lot of women in my lifetime. Women who have taught me great skills and given me knowledge. Women who've made me a better friend, wife, mother, sister and daughter. I've had women in my life during my greatest trials and my most wonderful achievements. I am in the process of raising 4 future women. And do you know what I've found? NO ONE REALIZES HOW GREAT THEY ARE! We must be genetically preprogrammed to not like ourselves. I don't know what it is about us, but we fail to give ourselves a break.

I find it amazing that we can tell you our greatest faults and totally discount our strengths. Do we think it's prideful or sounds snotty to say we are doing and have done great things? It's not! Why do we hold ourselves to some great "Barbie" standard? I've got a secret. Those "perfect" supermodels we see on magazines are fake. They have been airbrushed to perfection. And there are very few women in the world who cook, bake, sew, fix their own cars, repair their own homes, have brilliant, always well behaved children, have immaculate homes no matter what time of day or year it is, have size 2 bodies even after giving birth several times, give to others, have dinner waiting on the table when their husbands walk through the door and are happy all of the time. Why in the H*** do we think everyone but us has this type of life?

Give yourself a break. There are things in life that need to be done. Children need to be fed, laundry needs to be done and bills need to be paid. We are all in this together, living a similar lifestyle. Don't compare your worst self to others best selves. We should support eachother and ASK FOR HELP. Asking is not a sign of weakness, it's sign of honesty. No one expects you to do everything, all the time by yourself. It's ok to say no to things. It's okay to ask for support.

Do what you do and do it the best you can. Don't worry about the rest. Take a deep breath, relax, have a diet coke and remember to take care of your best self. You will be a happier woman.

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister! Now if I can just remember to apply the advice to myself ;)

    ReplyDelete