Here's my challenge: Have dinner together 3 times this week. I feel like I live in my car, and although the kids are getting older and can help more in the kitchen, their schedules are also filling up. As our children grow there are more schedules to juggle. It becomes an increasingly difficult task—finding time to have dinner on the table, homework done and everyone present. Having dinner together has a positive influence on children and family unity. Children who have regular family meals are 50% less likely to try drugs and alcohol (www.parentsempowered.org). Family mealtime is an opportunity to connect with each family member, discuss family plans and have FUN.
Often we ask our kids, “What was your favorite part of the day?” Sometimes their answers surprise us! Here's an easy way to get started on your Family Dinner Conversations this week. Try printing these conversation starters out, cutting them into strips and placing them in a bowl or jar; at dinner each person can draw a question to ask others, or you can all answer the same question; make up your own rules and just HAVE FUN.
1. If you were given $10,000 what would you do or buy with it?
2. Tell one positive thing about yourself.
3. What country would you like to visit and why?
4. Tell about what you would like to do on a rainy day.
5. Who is the person you most admire, why?
6. Tell about your favorite vacation.
7. What qualities are important to you in a spouse?
8. If you were on an island what 3 modern conveniences would you have to have with you?
9. If you could choose to have a new talent what would it be?
10. What famous person would you like to have lunch with?
11. Describe a perfect evening.
12. What do you like about your life?
13. What did you learn today?
14. What’s is the funniest thing that has happened to you?
15. What is the house of your dreams?
16. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
17. Give one word that describes each family member.
18. Which fairy tale character are you most like?
19. What do you want to be when you grow up?
20.How do you handle a tough situation?
21. Complete this sentence “I hope……”
22. If you could change your name, what would it be?
23. What is your least favorite chore? Most favorite?
24. Would you rather leave to age 35 as a millionaire, or age 85 with meager means?
25. What is your favorite birthday memory?
26. Would you acknowledge your faith in God if it meant you’d be arrested and imprisoned for 5 years? Explain
27. If you were an animal instead of a person, what animal would you be? Why?
28. If you could double your beauty, but it would cost you half your intelligence, would you do it? Why?