Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Healthful Recipe Redo

I have had some fun this week. Each week I get to cook with my kids. Sometimes it does get chaotic, but this week has been really fun. S. Sue made Shepherd's Pie; La La made Beef Wellington; J-Dog and Andy grilled chicken. I figured I need to amp up the testosterone for the poor boy and I am told
b-b-q-ing is very manly. D. made her favorite, Sausage Chick Pea Pasta. We decided to make it healthier than my original version with Italian sausage (yum), Alfredo sauce (yum) and no veggies. Here's our spin to lighten the calorie load, add in some veggies and it still tasted great.

Isn't it funny how kids will eat veggies if they help make them? Maybe it's just mine...

Sausage-Bean Pasta
1 pkg. whole wheat pasta
1 pkg. Jennie-O smoked sausages
1 can white beans, or chick peas
1 jar low-fat Alfredo sauce
1 pkg. mushrooms, sliced (or a can of mushrooms)
pepper to taste
basil, oregano and thyme to taste (I use about 1/2 tsp. each)

Optional: Fresh spinach, chopped tomato, red peppers

Cook the pasta according to directions.
Slice the sausage into 1/4 inch rounds; cook in a skillet with olive oil, until browned
Add the Alfredo and beans to the skillet, with the sausage. Add seasonings, stir. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add in veggies of your choice.
Cook another 5-8 minutes, until veggies are tender.

Drain pasta and add it directly into the skillet, stirring to incorporate all ingredients. Viola.

I figure this cuts the calories and fat significantly from my original version. And D.'s made it a few times, she is already starting to get the ingredients out of the pantry on her own, and get out the supplies she'll need to help.

This is another meal everyone eats. I can usually sneak enough veggies in there that no one notices, except the mushrooms. They have a texture my kids can detect from a mile away. So the ones that don't like them pass them along to the ones that do. It's a fine tuned balancing act. I also served steamed veggies on the side. Last night we had pomegranate-pear-kiwi salad too. Expanding horizons everywhere with that one.

~Happy Cooking~

No comments:

Post a Comment