Search This Blog

Friday, September 17, 2010

Recyle Re-use

So my cute, oldest girl came home from school today with a book about recycling things into new things and this got me thinking about managing my family's resources. I think it's safe to say the last few years the economy hasn't been kind to anyone. I feel really blessed we've weathered the storm (knocking on wood). I believe that is in part, because I learned early on how to manage my resources (thanks moms and dad) and since I stay at home, have had to be reminded how to stretch those resources to survive. Anyhow, I was looking at my daughter today, who brought home her school stuff in a recycled jean-tote that we made last year and she is the inspiration behind the following:

Ode to the Blue Jean
We've used jeans in a millon different ways and here's some tips that will save you money and help you hold on to your favorite jeans a little bit longer.

1- Cut offs--yeah I know, duh! I didn't start doing this until last year, but such an easy way to get more use out of pants with blown out holes in the knees. I just do a zig zag hem around the bottom and the kids can play in the dirt or paint or whatever other mess they create and I don't have to freak.
2- Cut them into quilt squares. My grandma was an amazing quilter and these were a big rage when I was a teen. I still have the one I made in high school in the back of my car for emergencies.
3- Jean bag/ purse. I cut off the legs just below the crotch, then cut that part open. Cut open one pant leg and sew it around the open top part of the pant to form the bottom of the bag. Use the other pant leg as a strap. My girls have used their bags almost 2 school years. They are awesome because they already have pockets and they use clips to hang things from the belt loops.
4- Skirts- I cut off the legs and then sew new fabic onto the bottom, cut off part of the pant to make a jean skirt
5- Pocket purse-cut off the pocket--go all the way through the jean, don't just cut off the pocket part and you have a cute little bag.

There's a million more uses but that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment