Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Less is More

I've been reading a lot, and I mean A LOT, of info. on healthy eating. I love food, and not to toot my own horn, but I can cook more than a decent meal.

So I need more time, less calories, more sanity, less stress. Anyone with me??

Here's a couple of easy guidelines to de-stressing and being a happier you.

1. Breathe- I know we all breathe, but take 10 great, deep breaths when you get up each morning, and repeat often throughout the day. This will give your brain a chance to get real oxygen.

2. Eat half of your take out meal. Again, simple, but we never realize what we are really eating when we go out. You can still enjoy the celebration, in fact you can do it twice because you have leftovers.

3. Eat whole food. We've started each meal this year with a salad, plated and ready to go before the meal. It fills you up, allows for a moment of peace (and conversation) before feeling the need to inhale the entree, and we know it's good for us. As a Mom, that makes me feel good that I am attempting to get kids to try, and sometimes eat, veggies. The little ones who don't eat salad have some cut up fruit.

4. Be Grateful. I recently heard that we, as humans, often minimize our successes. We are always looking at what we didn't do, or what we haven't done. Just for a moment realize all you have. Maybe even text, email or write to those who helped you get where you are. It will make everyone happier.

5. Plan simple meals, and eat them sitting down. Don't overlook how many veggies you can hide in soup or sandwiches. My new fave is Turkey, Bacon, Avocado. Turkey-healthy--breast meat is great; Bacon-you only need 1 or 2 pieces and that is a great portion; Avocado very healthful. I add lettuce, sprouts, purple onion and tomato on a whole wheat roll and dinner is easily served.

Happy, Healthy 2013!


No comments:

Post a Comment