Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy Independance Day

This year's Fourth of July is unlike any other. Andy and I just got back from Washington, D.C. and it was a vacation of a lifetime. Since college my heart has been on the east coast. I don't know what it is about that area, maybe opportunities that I didn't take in my youth, but part of me is there. After a week in DC I have been reminded of why our country is so amazing.

We went to many attractions like the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Wall, Arlington Cemetery, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier--we were there for changing of the guard--WOW, the Capitol, the National Archives, Supreme Court, the Pentagon, the Pentagon memorial, The White House, library of congress, St. Johns Church, Ford's Theatre and the house where Lincoln died.

We went to the Air and Space Museum and saw the space shuttle--Andy was in heaven. We went to the National Gallery of Art, National Portrait Gallery and the Smithsonian American Art Museum--I was in heaven. It was a fun, fantastic vacation and I will be forever grateful to my parents who made it possible for us to take our first kid free vacation. I hope it's not our last.

The trip was history in the making too. We arrived the day the Supreme Court upheld Obamacare. We were there during 105+ degree weather-the hottest it's been in 136 years. And we were there and out in, hurricane rains and windstorm at 11 p.m. watching trees blowing apart and spin down the street. Needless to say, there are many reasons we won't forget this trip.

Here's a few things I learned. The Metro system rocks; People in DC are friendly--don't believe that reputation for rudeness it's simply not true; you can walk 50 miles in four days, but not without dime sized blisters on your feet; I love my country more today than ever before because I have a new understanding of sacrifice, loyalty and freedom; DC has big black suburbans en-mass on their streets too. The only difference is that those are filled with FEDS, not families of five. I will be going back and this time it won't take me 15 years to get back.

I have a ton of pictures of course, and as soon as I unpack maybe I'll post some. Happy Fourth of July. Hug a member of the military today because they are upholding a tremendous gift for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment