Search This Blog

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Birthday Treats

We've had a million celebrations in the past few weeks. We are adjusting back to normal reality, and some big changes are on the horizon. In my next life I'd like to be granted more patience. Too bad there's not a checklist I can fill out and request certain attributes, like tall, skinny, patient, perfect.....ya know? I guess I get bored easily, so change, while not always welcome, is at least not boring.

Back to celebrating. No offense, but how boring is a store bought cake? I just can't do it. I can't go randomly pick out a cake, knowing it won't be as tasty as I could have done, and knowing I will spend 5 times as much as if I just made it myself. So with Andy and J-Dog's birthdays (and mine, but who's counting?) I have resolved to bring back some faves.

My Dad reminded me of the ever popular Tunnel of Fudge cake that we loved back in the day. I thought that was an appropriate and fun idea for Andy. I just recently mastered my bundt pan baking, and am feeling quite confident I can take that on. I'm thinking a new twist on Red Velvet, a delicious chocolate filling, and sprinkles! 

J-Dog's is still in the decision making process, since he changes his mind daily on what he wants to do I don't see the point to decide yet. We've run the gamet from Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream and brownies, to a turquoise lion filled with raspberry to a flamigo with flaming feathers. His demands may need to be bumped back a bit, ehh?

I found this delicious idea from Bakerella. These are delicious! It's likely you have the ingredients in your pantry right now. And if you don't, try substituting like I did. I had no sweetened condensed milk so I used this to make my own.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles
from The Cookie Dough Lover’s Cookbook (Thanks Lindsay!)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
chocolate candy coating
popsicle sticks, cut in half (use kitchen scissors to make a clean, smooth cut)
  • In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
  • Mix in milk and vanilla.
  • Add flour and salt and mix on low until combined.
  • Stir in chocolate chips.
  • Chill dough in refrigerator for about 30 minutes until firm enough to roll or scoop into 1-inch balls.
  • Place rolled balls on a wax paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. (I had mine in for about an hour so longer is okay, too)
  • Melt candy coating following instructions on the package. Remove a couple of balls from the freezer at a time and insert the cut stick into the ball. Dip in candy coating and let any excess fall off back into the bowl.
  • Add small sprinkles on top and place on wax paper to set. If the chocolate pools at the bottom of the ball, dot the balls on the wax paper until most of it is pulled off the ball and then place it on a clean spot of the wax paper to set.
  • Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week.
Happy Celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment