Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thankful For....

If you're on Facebook you know about the trend to post something you're thankful for each day. It is that time of year, and while we should be thankful everyday, this is the time of year we are reminded to say things (post things) out loud.

Like I've said before I spent 13 years in social services, helping, guiding and providing for those who've fallen on hard times. I am thankful for that experience. It has taught me a lot and made me more aware of how much I really have. This past week we sat down for Family Night and S. Sue was in charge our activity. She had us make Thankful Hand Turkeys. Ya know, trace your hand and write a blessing on each finger and make your thumb into a turkey face. She put the stipulation that we couldn't list home, clothes, family or food because "we already know that we are all thankful for those." See, someone listens when I perch on my soapbox.

So instead the kids listed things like school, medicine, church, the garden (ditto), books, a job (yeah) and Sponge Bob (ok, there always has to be an outlier in the bunch).

I am thankful for S.Sue and her sensitivity to others. She is a compassionate person (not a genetic trait since mine is locked away in a far off safety deposit box). She is a trustworthy friend and sister. She has a sarcastic edge (don't know where she found that...) and loves to serve others.

I am thankful for Lala. She is sweet and gentle. She makes peace and is great with compromise. She is patient (where she gets it, I don't know). She is a loyal friend and sticks up for the little guy.

I am thankful for J-Dog. He has an amazing memory and is a quick learner. He is my only child I don't have to repeat myself to and he remembers what I say. He's not perfect, but he's darn close. He is tenderhearted and looks and acts so much like his Dad, I have no doubt he will be successful.

I am thankful for Little D. She is spunky, firey, smart, sometimes smart alec, funny, sugar and spice and everything nice. She has given me a run for my money since the beginning and I am glad, she keeps life interesting.

I am thankful for my baby. She is sweet and mellow. She reminds me everyday how simple life should be. She radiates pure joy--mostly cuz she's still learning and discovering things. She's fun to watch and loves to cuddle.

I am thankful for my husband. He doesn't usually read this blog--no, I don't take it personally. There are too many things to list so I will just say he's the best choice I've made in my whole life. He is the most kind, dedicated, loyal friend I've ever found and I am so glad he's mine (FOREVVVVER!)

I don't say it enough but I am thankful to all of my family who have supported us through tough times and good times. For those of you who "get" me and my sarcasm and hang out with me anyway. For those of you who know what to say (and more importantly what not to say) when my eyes start rolling. And for those of you that take time to mean it when you ask how we are.

I am thankful for a free country, a somewhat crooked sense of humor, good values, good judgement, chocolate and Diet Coke, smart doctors, and a good upbringing.

THANK YOU!!!

What are you thankful for????

No comments:

Post a Comment