Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Zucchini Bread, Muffins, Casserole, Soup, Stew, etc.

Zucchini is both a blessing and a curse--low calorie, grows plentifully, needs help to taste good sometimes, grows plentifully....**yep that's in there twice--once for blessing, once for curse.

We are trying really hard this year to love veggies. Eating them fresh from the garden makes me feel like I'm doing something good for my body, and my family. Then by the time the third freshly picked zucchini comes in from the day's harvest--I'm kind of over it.

What do you do this much zucchini? Here's a few delicious recipes we've tried and have loved (ok, most of us have at least liked enough not to spit it back out onto the plate). Really these are delicious ways to use your plentiful harvest. Enjoy!

Zucchini Corn Casserole from Bec at Food.com
Aunt Fanny's Bake from the Lion House and a million other places (Click Here for Recipe)
Lemon Zucchini Cookies from Betty Crocker
Minestrone soup from me at Time Over Things
Kung Pao Chicken (spicy) from Copycat Panda Express recipe or if you want a really easy recipe for this you can do what I do...cheat. I buy my sauce from the local Asian market or grocery store, and add it to my chopped veggies that I have from the garden, add diced, cooked chicken. I cook all this together in a large skillet for 8-10 minutes and serve with thin noodles or brown rice.


We tried this today...and doubled the recipe. I froze a batch and the other batch is tomorrow's breakfast!

Zucchini Banana Chocolate Muffins from The Ambitious Kitchen
Ingredients
  1. 1 banana, mashed
  2. 1/4 cup sugar
  3. 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
  4. 1/3 cup Greek yogurt, plain (**I just used vanilla yogurt)
  5. 1 cup zucchini, shredded and squeezed dry
  6. 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  7. 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  8. 2/3 cup milk, non fat or milk of choice
  9. 1 1/2 cups flour
  10. 1 tsp. baking soda
  11. 1 tsp. baking powder
  12. 1/4 tsp. salt
  13. 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Line a muffin tin with liners and spray with cooking spray. I recommend using aluminum foil liners or no liners at all. Just spray the tins.
  3. In a bowl, add banana, sugar and egg. mix until well combined. Add yogurt, zucchini, vanilla and cinnamon; mix until combined. Stir in the milk.
  4. Add the flour baking soda, baking powder and salt to batter; and just mix until combined. Do not over mix!
  5. Fold in chocolate chips.
  6. Evenly fill muffin tins with batter. Bake in oven for 15 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins come out clean. Let muffins cool for 10 minutes in pan and place onto a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment