Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Birthday Wishes

So it's my birthday. I am a year older and possibly a little wiser. When I was little I remember asking my Mom what she wanted for her birthday, and she would always say, "I just want you guys to get along." It would have been easier to buy her Paris. As my kids grow I understand what she was saying. At this point in my life all the "things" I want are way above the kids allowance range. But what really matters to me is free. Do a kind act, say a kind word, serve each other. Doesn't cost a thing and can make a world of difference for everyone.

Now I don't want to sound selfish, so take this next part in context.

What I want this year:
1. I want my kids to let me go to the bathroom in peace.

2. I want them to listen the first time. If I can't get that, I want a recording of the 10 things I am constantly repeating so I don't have to say it; I can just push a button and BAM! there's my voice saying "wash your hands," "don't scream," "Yes, it's nap time," and "Please just set the table." It would be great if I could change the tone and volume of the recording, so my vocal chords aren't stressed.

3. I want one night where I don't have to get up to get someone something. Granted it's not always the kids;sometimes it's the phone, or a neighbor, or my husband. I just want one night of silence.

4. I want people to say what they mean, and mean what they say.  If you really offer something, don't let your words evaporate into "good intentions" when you're called upon.


What I am giving myself this year:
1. I will lock my bedroom and bathroom door to get some peace. I will ignore the pounding on the door by humming Maroon 5 songs out loud, to myself.


2. I will give myself one night each week without kids. This was one of my goals at the beginning of the year. Some weeks are better than others, but I may actually have to ask for help. Moms take back a piece of yourself by getting a little peace & quiet. You deserve it. We all know it. Just do it!

3. Tonight I may actually accomplish number 3. The world's best grandparents are taking my little darlings for a sleepover. THANK YOU. Telemarketers and door-to-door salespeople BEWARE! I want my 8-10 hours of peace!

So onto number 4, if you offered to help be prepared. I have lots to accomplish this year and may actually break down and take you up on it!




No comments:

Post a Comment