Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Throw Back Thursday- Vintage Inspired WWII Recipes (Tomato Soup)

I have been doing a lot of Family History research for a couple of clients (I recently started a business helping people transcribe and organize their personal/family written info and pics) and in doing so have been really inspired by those who lived through WWI and WWII, especially since many had large families to feed, and rations were put into place which limited basic cooking ingredients like eggs, sugar and butter.

In my quest to save money, find appreciation for past generations, and RocK! something vintage besides a few throw pillows--I am doing a series of Vintage Inspired Recipes. People grew "Victory Gardens" and "Canned for Victory" during the 1940s, so I thought today I'd start out with my quick, easy, food storage friendly, garden friendly Tomato Soup. Enjoy!

Vintage Inspired Tomato Soup
2-10.15 oz cans of condensed tomato soup (or consider pureeing stewed garden tomatoes)
1-12 oz can of evaporated milk
2/3 c. water
1/2 tsp. onion flake
2 tsp. dried basil, or 3 freshly chopped basil leaves
pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in pot on stove top and heat until warm. Serve topped with croutons. You can find my great economical recipe for croutons here!

To round out the meal I serve this with grilled cheese sandwiches, which would not have happened back in the day of rationing, so I no longer take cheese and butter for granted.


This meal feeds 6 easily and costs about $3.30 to make--.55 cents a serving (sandwich and soup). 

No comments:

Post a Comment