Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2014

July Food Menu

I've had a bunch of requests for Meal Ideas, so for all my friends who've been asking...here's what's for dinner at our house in July. And I'm not gonna lie, I am a slacker when it comes to summer time. I want to be out playing, not inside cooking. The grill and crock pot become my best friends during these months--just sayin'.

Chili Dogs
Shish Kabobs (click here for easy ideas; I just use whatever veggies I have coming out of the garden, and marinate my beef cubes in 1/4 c. olive oil, 1 Tbsp Rosemary, salt & pepper to taste, and 2 Tbsp. of Red Wine Vinegar or Red Cooking wine; I marinade my chicken in 1/2 c. lemon juice, 1/4 c. oil and rosemary, oregano and basil)
Grilled Tuna Sandwiches (basically a tuna sandwich topped with sliced cheese and tomato (opt) and put under the broiler for about 3 minutes, until cheese is bubbly)
General Tso's Chicken (crock pot) I've never tried this recipe, but it is what's on the menu--I'm always looking to try new things. Check out the recipe here.
Enchiladas- another good way to use up things from the garden. I always double the recipe and freeze one pan for later. If you don't have a favorite recipe check out this one.
Grilled chicken and pineapple--slice the pineapple into rings and throw it on the grill before your raw meat--or on an upper grill rack. I cook extra chicken too for later in the week.
Veggie and Chicken Pasta-cook pasta according to directions, add your choice of veggies and the extra chicken from your grilled chicken meal and dinner is done.
Crock Pot Chile Verde- you can make this not too spicy for kids who are wondering "what is this green stuff?" I love spicy food, so my kids are used to eating it. However, when they were little they didn't always eat it--so have a few PBJs on the side if needed. I don't have a recipe, I just throw stuff in--but here's a good one you may want to try.
Sloppy Joe's
Mozzarella Meatballs and buttered pasta
Spaghetti Pie-again my version is spicier than most, but here is a basic recipe. Make one and freeze one for later.
Tomato basil soup and grilled ham and cheese sandwiches
Chicken strips (I purchase the oven ready variety, but you can certainly make your own)
Breakfast
Chicken cordon blue pasta (Alfredo sauce, chopped ham, cooked & diced chicken, chopped onion, pepper, basil and oregano make a great sauce. Heat all ingredients together and throw over cooked pasta)
Olive Garden soup (I know weird to have soup when it's hot outside, but it's filling and uses up garden veggies so I roll with it.) Recipe here.
Summer Shrimp Pasta
Pad Thai
Chicken Pillow
Hamburger Stew (crock pot)

If you need other ideas for meals, just type "Meal Time" or "Meal Ideas" into the search bar on the homepage of my blog!

I try to keep lunches around here simple too--simple enough the kids can make them. I don't like to use a lot canned or frozen food to feed them, but during the busy times here's how we roll: canned ravioli, sandwiches, pita pocket sandwiches, bean & cheese burritos ("homemade" with canned beans and sliced cheese in a tortilla and warmed), chicken nuggets, salad and leftover chicken, soup, mac & cheese, left overs, cereal, pb & j or pb & honey. It's pretty simple around here cuz we'd all rather be out playing in the water, camping, shopping, discovering and exploring, than heating up the house.

Enjoy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment