Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pad Thai Perfection

I have loved cooking ever since....umm...yeah. I have got to be honest. I haven't always loved to cook. In fact most days I am so over everything by the time dinner rolls around, I couldn't care less what's on the table, and mostly just wish someone else would make it.

This year I've had new inspiration to cook more at home, and eat out less. I am so committed to saving money so we can take our kids on an awesome, amazing adventure this summer, and cooking at home is one way to stretch our budget to make that happen. And you know what? It works. It's work, but it also works towards our financial favor. Funny how you have money when you don't spend it on kids meals, treats and pizza. And, of course it's better for your health. No big surprise there.

Onto the point of the post...I have a great Weight Watchers cookbook my sister gave me, and this year, I am going to really use it. The following is my version inspired by the WW recipe.

Pad Thai Perfection
1 box whole wheat spaghetti (or rice noodles, or regular spaghetti), cooked according to directions

2-4 green onions, sliced
1 1/2 c. bean sprouts*
1/2 c. peanuts (l like roasted)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 tsp. peanut oil
1 1/2 c. pre-cooked, frozen shrimp (or cooked, diced chicken, or no meat)
 2 cloves chopped garlic

Sauce
3 Tbsp. Fish Sauce
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar (or rice vinegar)
1 T. sugar (or Splenda)
3 T. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. chile paste (I used Srirachaa, you could use red pepper flake)

2 tsp. basil

*You can use whatever veggies you like- broccoli, carrots, baby corn, peas or pea pods, etc.

Cook your noodles according to package. Whisk sauce together. Heat peanut oil in large frying pan or wok, and add garlic and green onion, for about 3 minutes. Add noddles and sauce, along with bean sprouts, and any other veggies you choose. Heat through about 2-3 minutes. Add cooked shrimp and cilantro. Steam all this together for another 2-3 minutes, until shrimp are warm. When I steam them I turn the burner to low, put the lid on the pan and let it steam 3 minutes. Add peanuts before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment