Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

And I Leave You With This...

First of all, please notice that I added a search bar under the title of my blog. Now you can search for past posts, ideas, meals, etc. and hopefully it will help save you time.

It's not like I am totally addicted to blogging-I'm not, but I need a mental release every one in awhile so I write, and post, and release. The hubs finals are taking place over the next two weeks, and with a major fundraiser going on, spring volleyball competitions and our house in the stages of major renovation upheaval--I am taking a bit of a break--don't stress, just a week or two.

But I leave you with this....
Cook Once, Eat Twice
With the circus that has become my life lately I still want to cook at home, from healthy, whole ingredients. I am watching our pocketbook and waistlines, and don't love going out too often to eat. I saw this great clip the other day about preparing ingredients ahead of time for the week. I like flexibility and as much of a planner as I am sometimes I don't want "what's on the menu." So I leave you with my interpretation of other's make ahead, time saving, pre-prep meal ideas. Enjoy!

Monday
Tacos & Spaghetti Pie
Ground Beef or Turkey-make twice as much as you need for your normal taco recipe; once cooked take out half for Spaghetti Pie and season it. Put this meat in the fridge for later in the week. Finish seasoning the taco meat in the pan. Also slice/dice/chop all the ingredients you need for tacos, as well as those you can use in Spaghetti Pie.

Tuesday
Grilled Chicken & Asian Noodles
Grill (or Saute) twice as much chicken as you need, reserving half for Asian Noodles later. Pair your grilled chicken for tonight's meal with oven roasted or grilled veggies, brown rice or salad.

Wednesday
Spaghetti Pie- cook your noodles (twice as much as you need for Spaghetti Pie) and use your meat and chopped veggies from Monday's recipe. Follow this recipe, or your favorite version to finish this meal.

Thursday
Using the chicken from Tuesday and the noodles from Wednesday use the below recipe and finish this Asian Noodle dish for tonight.

Sauce
¼ cup              cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp             lime juice
¼ tsp               salt
½ tsp               pepper
½ tsp               garlic (or two minced cloves)
2 Tbsp             soy sauce
1 Tbsp             Hoisin sauce
dash                 red pepper flakes
dash                 Tabasco
 ¼ cup              peanuts (opt.)

Add cooked meat to sauce and warm through in skillet or wok. When meat is done add ¼ cup peanuts (optional).

Friday
Katie’s French Dip Sandwich

1 package Roast beef cold cuts

1 pkg. Deli Rolls

1 pkg. Au Jus

12 slices Swiss or Mozzarella cheese

sauteed onions and peppers

mayo



Mix the Au Jus and add beef. Let beef simmer in juice 10 minutes. Spread Mayo lightly on each bun, add beef and cheese. Grill in oven 10-12 minutes, until cheese melts. Add onions and peppers, if desired. Reserve Au jus for dipping sandwich.

Since I use a lot of the same meats and veggies in different recipes each week I am hoping this means less work doing a bit at a time. Other ideas for saving time: cutting up everything you need at the beginning of the week for the weekly menu; cooking twice as much as needed and freezing half--caution somethings don't freeze well (see this link for ideas), or marinading fresh beef and chicken then freezing it for easy meals on the grill or in the oven!

Until I blog again....


No comments:

Post a Comment