Search This Blog

Friday, November 2, 2012

Swedish Meatballs

Swedish Meatballs

You know those meals you thought were so gross as a kid? Liver and Onions? Stir Fry? Cowboy's Delight? Well sometimes as we grow up, we realize that once in awhile you need to return to meals like that to reclaim comfort. Of course no one here dislikes anything set before them at the nightly family meal. That doesn't happen here. Everyone eats and loves every single meal I make. I swear I was born to do nothing but bring pleasing meals to the dinner table every night (inserting lots of sarcasm HERE).

I don't make any of those above mentioned recipes, but recently I was messing around with my basic Stroganoff recipe (based upon my childhood memories) and found a new comfort food that my kids will NEVER think is gross. This is great for big family meals, for entertaining or potlucks.

Swedish Meatballs

1. Bake 20-25 pre-made meatballs according to package directions. Or if you are really brave you can make your own. I don't, that would require I touch raw meat, and we all know that is a rule I can't break.

2. Make your favorite rice...we like brown, but anything works.

3. Stir together 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1 can beef broth, 1 c. low fat sour cream in a pot and bring to a simmer. Add onion flake to taste and one small can or one package fresh mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms down until the sauce becomes a gravy like consistency. If you need help thickening I use poultry gravy mix. It gives the sauce flavor as well as thickness. Toss a tablespoon or two into the sauce until desired consistency is reached.

The rest is stupid easy. Put the rice on a plate, cover with sauce and top with meatballs. My kids like Parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top.

Serve with crusty French bread, steamed green beans and a side salad, maybe some applesauce. Seriously good comfort food that will provide your family with lots of good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment